Welcome to my digital writing journal, or mydigitalclutter. What started as a family blog almost two years ago has morphed into my writing therapy. This is where I do a lot of free writing, mostly about my life with my family and the things that catch my interest. While nowhere even close to perfect, in each post I like to see how my writing is changing with time and practice. Most posts are left unedited for this reason, so if you don't mind, take the journey with me.

Monday, November 2, 2009

A Month of Gratitude


While in church yesterday, someone mentioned doing a month of gratitude, by daily sharing what inspired them to be most thankful.  I loved this idea, and thought to modify it a bit for my own use.

I love this picture I found while searching Google today.  A woman, in a position of supplication and gratitude, surrounded by things that really are the staff of life, food, drink, and the word of God.  Of course, I may be reading into the image, something that isn't there, but none the less, I think the image truly shares what I believe to be important.

I've heard it stated that after 21 days, an activity becomes habit.  Wouldn't it be the culmination  of all good things if by the end of the month, I had to continue my journey, out of habit, to be grateful for all that I have? I believe it would.  Gratitude can change a perspective from bleak to shining and bright.  Will that change my dismal moods into something light and manageable?

Today, I am grateful for life.  The very essence of who I am, who I was, and who I am to become.  To enjoy every breath, every sight, and all sensations, is a miracle.  I will still be grateful tomorrow that my ears can hear the music I love, my eyes can read the words I adore, and my fingers can touch my loved ones.

How do we live a life of gratitude?  Is it really gratitude if we don't give credit to He who is the author of all we have?

Today, what are you grateful for?

*And I'm grateful to Google for the image!*

5 Lovely Scribbles to Me:

Tonee said...

Thank you for your thought Teri! I was pondering what I wanted to do at FHE tonight and was about to get online for ideas (of course the topic I wanted was gratitude), and your post inspired me with an IDEA for what to do. I am going to have some sort of cute board or something, and every day Brennan and I will write something that we are grateful for. Then at the end of the month, we will see the 60 things that we are grateful for. Your post made me tingle all the way to my head and ears! Love you!

Lisa said...

Even when things are going badly, I always try to find the silver lining.

Today I am grateful for quiet time at home before everyone else comes home. Sometimes I just need time to regroup.

Diane said...

Beautiful post. I see the same things in the picture as you. Thankful today for friends that have gotten me through some of the toughest of times and hoping I can be the same for someone else. :O)

* said...

I was thinking about gratitude earlier today, too.

Gratitude is one of my favorite emotions. It pulls me back to my center, to a giving, loving place. It is light and hope and Christ, all that I am grateful for.

Becky said...

Okay - so you know the recent trials in my life, but I am just putting this out there... I am truly grateful for my trials. They are not yours, or anyone else's - they are mine and it is how I choose to learn from these experiences that will make me a better person.

I think about what I can learn; I think about what I can teach my kids.

I am grateful for the knowledge and love I have for the scripture in Ecclesiates 3:1-8. There is a time/season for everything.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...