Welcome to my digital writing journal, or mydigitalclutter. What started as a family blog almost two years ago has morphed into my writing therapy. This is where I do a lot of free writing, mostly about my life with my family and the things that catch my interest. While nowhere even close to perfect, in each post I like to see how my writing is changing with time and practice. Most posts are left unedited for this reason, so if you don't mind, take the journey with me.

Friday, November 13, 2009

Grateful for Family Support


Today started specatularly.  It's Friday, so that means I have some time to spend with my family this weekend.  The weather hasn't been overcast, so my mood is bright, like the sun that is until the third phone call I received from my daughter before she and my son were to head to school.  Apparently Nigel has two wiggly teeth, and he's freaking out about it. 

I have to share my gratitude for my parents.  Although I can get quite verbose and sentimental about all the qualities they have for which I am thankful, I'm not going to go down that path today.  We still have half of the month to go...I'm sure it will show up again.  Today I'm grateful that they live so close to us.

Back to the trauma of this morning.  We have a system where the kids leave for school, a few minutes after I leave for work.  They call as they leave and they make their way with the other hordes of children from our neighborhood to their destination.  Generally, it goes off without a hitch.  Except for today.  Nigel bumped his loose tooth and completely freaked out.  FREAKED!  Suddenly he couldn't go to school because he might happen to swallow the said tooth, and he might BLEED.  I know, drama.

Well luckily my parents live a few minutes away and were able to make it to the house and comfort my little guy, something I couldn't do on the phone, and take the kids to school.  I should say now that I'm grateful Grandpa and Grandma are retired and can do that!!  Grandma checked his tooth, and gave the verdict that it was good for at least another three days.  Grandpa wiggled it a bit, and it didn't come out.  All was good with the world, and Nigel could head to school.

I am so glad that my parents have such a good relationship with my kids.  Fridays are their day.  So, today, they are taking my kiddlets to the movies.  That will be a lot of fun, although I'm not convinced it is all for the younger generation.  I think my parents get as much enjoyment out of it as Abbie and Nigel.

I know that many people live far away from their extended families and don't have this wonderful blessing.  After Daniel and I married, we made a decision to stay close.  We both love our families and enjoy spending time with them and we knew that moving away and chasing job opportunities that would take us out of the state, would hurt us as much as the families we would be leaving.

Thanks Mom and Dad!  I know that without you today, Nigel would have had a complete and total meltdown, and I wouldn't have been able to get there in time to clean it up before school started.  THANK YOU!

Why are you grateful for your extended family?  Are they a blessing or a curse? :)

*Thanks to Google for the image, it's a book!*

6 Lovely Scribbles to Me:

Lisa said...

I am grateful for my family, too. My parents used to live across the street in a "Everybody Loves Raymond" kind of way. They weren't like that, though. They were very good neighbors and it was so great for the kids to have them so close. Now they've moved. Don't get me started...

Diane said...

Both at times......Sadly.

Cluttered Brain said...

oh yeah! Totally grateful for extended family! my family is on the east coast right now and my hubby's parents right now are only about an hour and a half away. I like my MIL. She is a good example.

I think we are spending Thanksgiving with them too.

Diane said...

BTW, I have an award for you over at my blog! :O)

Geoff and Emily said...

Your post made me miss my parents. I only wish I had them around because I know they would be so active in my childrens' lives. Because we are from two different states, Geoff and I would have to make one set of parents sad and the other ones happy, or we have to live around neither, making everyone sad. Who knows!?

* said...

I feel the same way. How can people live far away from family when they are, in the end, all that we really have? They can calm a storm like no one else, and for that, I'm grateful, too.

PS: Your Nigel is my Eliza. Through and through. (sigh)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...