Welcome to my digital writing journal, or mydigitalclutter. What started as a family blog almost two years ago has morphed into my writing therapy. This is where I do a lot of free writing, mostly about my life with my family and the things that catch my interest. While nowhere even close to perfect, in each post I like to see how my writing is changing with time and practice. Most posts are left unedited for this reason, so if you don't mind, take the journey with me.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Gratitude for Tights


I began my love affair with tights the Summer of 1994.  Well, summer in the northern hemisphere.  I however was in the southern, and smack dab in the middle of a very frigid Uruguayan winter.  Before my epiphany of the benefits to wearing tights, I was strictly a nylons type of girl.  (Remember, early '90s.  We didn't go with bare legs.)  But that all changed, one very cold, very humid, day when my poor little legs couldn't take anymore.

Before leaving to another part of the world, my mom and I had done the requisite shopping and had purchased a number of mid-calf length skirts, a couple of tops and sensible walking shoes.  Along with these hip and upcoming fashions were a couple of pairs of opaque tights that I was certain I would never remove from the packaging.  They soon became my most beloved fashion accessory.

Have you ever tried to ride a bycicle in the freezing cold, windy rushing up your skirt?  No?  Well, I have.  I would feel the cold air pushing aside the fabric of my skirt and then my legs would be left to the elements.  When I could stand it no longer, I put away my pride and donned a pair of dark brown tights.

There were no fancy patterns, like the ones I'm wearing today.  Argyle if you must know.  But for the first time in a number of months, my legs were warm.  They weren't full of goosebumps, running up and down from thigh to toes.  I wore out the first two pairs of tights and my dear mother sent replacements whenever she sent me a package.  My tights were a boon, a comfort when all things aliegn surrounded me.

Truth be told, my favorite benefit was not needing to shave my legs during that time.  Yes, needed.  I just didn't need to because there wasn't anything to shave.  My tights kept my legs smooth and hair free.  I know, a little vain, but something I was thrilled with.  How I missed that when the humid, steamy summer months rolled around and I was back to my daily routine, and bare legs.

Today, I'm quite a bit older than I was so many years ago, but love affair continues with tights.  I am grateful that I have so many daring and comfortable options.  It snowed here the other day, but my legs were warm and comfy as I trudged through the parking lot to my car.  I suppose when I'm ninety and still need a little something, I'll reach for a pair of tights rather than the flimsy covering of nylons.  Call me crazy, but it's true, and that is why I'm grateful for them today.

*Thanks to Google for the image*

7 Lovely Scribbles to Me:

Lisa said...

I'm envious of those who can pull off the funky tights. They are so cute! I'm just afraid I would look like a dork. Besides, I have a hard enough time with pantyhose.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could pull off fun colors with tights. Of course, I wish I had the kind of legs I could be comfortable enough to try.

Diane said...

I've never heard of tights keeping your legs hair free. Maybe I should try that..... hmmmm. :O)

Wonder Woman said...

I bought some tights/leggings just a few weeks ago. I now have black, silver and blue. I wore the blue tights with a black wrap dress the other day and my husband about died laughing. Couldn't stop calling me Cyndi Lauper. I told him, "You just wait! I'm going to get SO many people telling me I look cute!" And I did. So there.

* said...

As a matter of fact, yes, I *have* tried riding a bike in the freezing cold with wind rushing up my skirt.

:)

Yep, in the tights vs. nylons debate, tights win, hands down!!

I bet you guys have a lot more tights available in your cold weather climate than what our stores here in the desert offer. I'm not much of an online shopper, so I got sad when my local Target was sold out the other day. Sold out of tights I tell you!

Tonee said...

I like tights too! But I hate getting them on, maybe it's because the ones I have are truly too "tight!" Where's your fav place to buy them? I am in the market . . .

Anonymous said...

I wish more women felt the way you do about leg wear. I miss the days when girls always wore hose with dresses and skirts. Tights are cute too. Bare legs are boring IMO and look silly in colder weather. Most women kid themselves that bare legs all the time is chic.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...