Welcome to my digital writing journal, or mydigitalclutter. What started as a family blog almost two years ago has morphed into my writing therapy. This is where I do a lot of free writing, mostly about my life with my family and the things that catch my interest. While nowhere even close to perfect, in each post I like to see how my writing is changing with time and practice. Most posts are left unedited for this reason, so if you don't mind, take the journey with me.

Monday, February 2, 2009

Booty


When has the word booty become acceptable in our society???  Especially in reference to someone's hind end? (You will notice I did not put a picture of that here....way too graphic!)

Tonight both of my kids were sitting in the back seat of the car, singing "Shake Your Booty" at the top of their lungs.  It is a song they have made up and think is hilarious.  I do not.

To my way of thinking, booty has always been something a baby wears on his or her feet, or for another stretch of the imagination, what a pirate takes for spoils.  When did it become copasetic to call my bottom, "booty"?  It horrifies me to think that my kids are picking up this type of language.

Those who know us well, know that we have always taught our children the correct anatomical labels for those body parts we name.  For example, it has been a huge source of hilarity to tell how many times Nigel has shouted "Your hurting my p#(@s!" every time we would pick him up.  Of course, that has backfired on us because we get strange looks from people in the grocery store.  One can never be too careful in today's society.  Perhaps because I have always had the aversion of "wee-wee" when referring to a boy's nether regions, booty seems to evoke the feelings of nails on a chalk board.

Perhaps I'm showing my age, or my strange sensibilities.  I can only hope that the "booty" stage goes away, and goes away quickly!!!!

0 Lovely Scribbles to Me:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...