Welcome to my digital writing journal, or mydigitalclutter. What started as a family blog almost two years ago has morphed into my writing therapy. This is where I do a lot of free writing, mostly about my life with my family and the things that catch my interest. While nowhere even close to perfect, in each post I like to see how my writing is changing with time and practice. Most posts are left unedited for this reason, so if you don't mind, take the journey with me.

Monday, February 16, 2009

A little Moleskine?

So, I admit it....I like to write.  In fact I carry around a Moleskine notebook in my purse and jot down my thoughts as they hit me.  The poor book is getting pretty battered by all the places I go, but there are pages of random thoughts, sketches of ideas (not drawings mind you), and some lists.

Yesterday I had a surge of inspiration and wrote quite a bit.  I can't explain why it is such a different feeling and process to write something down by hand, rather than by typing it into a computer screen.  Don't get me wrong, I love to type and blog, and do all of the grand things that come from a computer (hence my digital scrapbooking hobby), but I really love to sit down with a fine tip pen, the finer the better, and write in my little black notebook.  

I've always love notebooks.  There is a certain anticipation looking at the blank pages of a fresh notebook, not knowing exacatly what can come of those pages.  While in school, it was inevitably a slew of notes, some interesting and some not, from classes that ranged from Biology to Andulician literature.

My love of writing and notebooks does not mean in any way that I am a good journal keeper.  In fact, I stink.  I don't write the events of my life, or take time to journal about the political events of the day.  Will my children look back and feel some sort of loss that I didn't leave them neatly, chronological diaries of my life?  Will they enjoy the random ramblings of notebooks that have empty pages, thoughts of fiction, and lists of various types?

I recently asked for the journals of two of my great-grandmothers.  One, I named my daughter after, the other, I feel very close to.  They were both born before the automobile, and died during the jet and space age.  I wonder what they thought as they saw the world rapidly changing around them and what their lives were like on a daily basis.  Did they ramble as I do, or were they neatly organized and structured in their records.  I don't know, but suppose either way, I will enjoy the fact that something from their own hand was recorded.

Wether or not it is a book, a story, or just my random notebooks, I hope that I have something to leave behind when I go.  I hope that my children, grandchildren and other posterity will enjoy my randomness because that is who I am.  I can't be structured and record my daily activities.  Hopefully there is someone out there that is.  I would hate for my children to not know the price of milk on February 16, 2009, twenty years from now.  But it won't be me that records it.

0 Lovely Scribbles to Me:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...