Welcome to my digital writing journal, or mydigitalclutter. What started as a family blog almost two years ago has morphed into my writing therapy. This is where I do a lot of free writing, mostly about my life with my family and the things that catch my interest. While nowhere even close to perfect, in each post I like to see how my writing is changing with time and practice. Most posts are left unedited for this reason, so if you don't mind, take the journey with me.

Thursday, February 5, 2009

My Dream


A couple of years ago, I had a wonderful experience with someone I consider to be a mentor and good friend.  He sat down with me and a co-worker and we each came up with what we considered our 'dream'.  At the time, my dream was to have balance in my life, so I might have emotional and physical resources to give to my family and my job.  I feel that things have worked out rather well for me in that regard, and I even took a big leap in leaving that job to find one that would be better for my family as well as me.

I have had a 'dream' for a while now, something simmering on the back burner that I have lifted the lid on occasionally to stir and taste.  I haven't moved it to the front, but have been content to let it wait until it was ready.  I think that the time has come to move it forward.

Now, while I still want to have balance in my life, and that is the one thing that I will always strive for, sometimes more successfully than others, I have something else to take up a small piece of me.

In order for me to start on my dream, I wrote it out.  I put pen to paper, and that made it all the more real.  The process is simple....write down your dream and the steps you will take to achieve it.  Spend the majority of your time pursuing the top two items on the list and the rest will fall into place.  Seems really easy?  Perhaps in theory, but in practice, it is far from it.  Little niggling doubts creep in, but I think that I have found a way around them!

While on my mission, I had the experience of seeing missionaries follow a way of working, where they would 'covenant with the Lord' and they would experience the blessings of following through with what they had promised the Lord they would do.  I never had the opportunity to 'test' this theory, but I saw firsthand the blessings that came about.

Now this brings me back to my dream.  Is there a way to merge the two theories and experience the blessings of pursuing a talent the Lord has given me?  I truly believe there is.

After writing out my 'dream' or goal, if you are more familiar or comfortable with that vernacular, I made a list of ten actions that needed to take place in order for me to achieve this desire.  The first on the list was to pray.  How can I even imagine undertaking this journey with the help of my Father in Heaven?  The arm of the natural man is strong in me, but I know that I will not be able to even move one inch in the direction I need to without dropping to my knees in earnest prayer.  Second is renewed conviction to the scriptures.  I need to be reading the scriptures daily in order to feed my soul with the words that I need in order to make it through my day.

I won't post my dream here for all to see.  There are a couple of those who are close to me that know, but I'm not comfortable sharing quite yet.  I do feel that I am making progress though, with my list of ten actions, my dream set in ink, and my priorities on the right track.  I only pray that I will be able to do what I need to in order to be blessed with the ability to achieve my dream!

0 Lovely Scribbles to Me:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...