Welcome to my digital writing journal, or mydigitalclutter. What started as a family blog almost two years ago has morphed into my writing therapy. This is where I do a lot of free writing, mostly about my life with my family and the things that catch my interest. While nowhere even close to perfect, in each post I like to see how my writing is changing with time and practice. Most posts are left unedited for this reason, so if you don't mind, take the journey with me.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Country for me

From the time I was very small, I have had an affinity, or obsession, whatever you may want to call it, with Scotland. I remember as a grade-schooler and learning about the lochs and plaids, and the bagpipes, I felt it calling to me. Over and over again, I would find myself drawn to stories that took place there, and imagining myself trudging along the Highland hills with whatever character has the good fortune to be constructed there.

I've never had the opportunity to visit, and it is on my "bucket list" to do someday before I "kick the bucket", but I yearn to go. Part of my ancestry hails from Scotland, although I'm not as familiar with it as I should be. I know that a large portion of my heritage hails from Sweden, and I would also like to visit there, but it doesn't hold the same fascination or pull for me as does the wilds of the Highlands.

Someday I'm sure that I will have the chance to walk along the glens with Daniel. I even picture the poor man wearing a kilt, but that is pure fantasy. Oh, Daniel would happily oblige with the kilt part, but Scotland is low on the priority list right now.

So, for the time being, it remains on my "bucket list", and I endeavor to find as much to read where I can find a haven in Scotland.

2 Lovely Scribbles to Me:

Anonymous said...

i feel ya, Teri! i want to go to Scotland, too!!! big time!!! one day.... and one day i want to go to Australia!!! :)

* said...

I agree! And reading Outlander has only helped encourage those feelings in me! ;)

PS: My husband just started working for a new company this week -- and they have offices in London! I told him already, if we can transfer, I'm game. And then Scotland will be all the closer! Our fingers are crossed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...