Welcome to my digital writing journal, or mydigitalclutter. What started as a family blog almost two years ago has morphed into my writing therapy. This is where I do a lot of free writing, mostly about my life with my family and the things that catch my interest. While nowhere even close to perfect, in each post I like to see how my writing is changing with time and practice. Most posts are left unedited for this reason, so if you don't mind, take the journey with me.

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Dream and Vision

Today I had a little time to think about the purpose of having a dream or vision. I sat and talked with someone I admire and respect, and we talked specifically about the vision he has for his department. That is something that is seriously lacking in the current position I am in for work, so I don't mind at all that he is trying to steal me for his own department. ☺

It really got me to think about the situations where one (me in particular) isn't in a position to affect change for the overall populations, whether it be an office, family, etc. What does one do? Sit and chew fingernails to the quick? Complain loudly and often to anyone who will listen? Or does the person is question move to change themselves in order for it to percolate out to others in the vicinity?

We have all heard it said, and many times by many people, I'm sure; that one cannot change anyone else, he or she can only change them-self. Is that the gospel truth? Can I only work on my own goals and aspirations and how that others will catch the vision and jump on board?

I have been married for almost twelve years now. In fact, in just a few short weeks, it will be the twelfth anniversary of my first date with Daniel, and the subsequent seventeen days before we became engaged. As I look back, we were two very different individuals. In fact, when we told the bishop of our singles ward, he had such a shocked look on his face, I was sure he was going to faint. It didn't help that I was the Relief Society President and Daniel and his friends were the "Back Row Joes." That is the beauty of time and space and two committed individuals.!

We were very different, and by trial and error, came to the conclusion that no matter how hard we tried, I wasn't going to get Daniel to enjoy getting into Christmas celebrations as I did, and he wasn't going to get me to tone it down. We had to sit back and enjoy our differences and respect the other's viewpoint. On the other hand there are things that I have had to change about myself to make our family work, and there are things that he has had to change. I couldn't impose upon him anything that I wasn't willing to do myself.

I guess the point of it could be that we share a common vision in our marriage. We both want to have an eternal one. We actually like each other, so that whole "For Time and all Eternity" has an appealing ring to it. Having that vision has made change for us a whole lot easier. Perhaps I'm should say that I'm speaking for me here, not necessarily Daniel! ☺ Anyway, the vision keeps us going the direction that we should, and when we start to stray off the path, a getting a good perspective on the vision puts us back where we belong.

Back to my office. There are a lot of people who just can't seem to make that transition to the overall vision that could make it a better environment for them. I'm not in a position to make any changes, except with myself. So, I envision a better environment for me. No more complaints. If I'm to affect change, I must do it in the 20 feet that surround me. I know it isn't going to flow out farther than that right now, but in that small area, I can do something that is amazing. I can give 100% and reap the results of my efforts.

I also take this to my dream. You may have seen the previous post where it took a ton of courage to let the world in on my very secret desire to write. What is my vision? Do I have something to aspire to? Can I get on board with it to make the changes I need in order to accomplish it? It is kind of scary to think that I am going to lay words down on paper and try to make some sense out of them, and open it up for the world to see. (Some may argue that I am doing that now on my blog, but for me, it's just not quite the same.) If I don't have that dream, all I will ever do is jot down ideas and outlines. Nothing will ever be fleshed out into something resembling a story line. The characters in my head will remain there, never to experience the adventures I have in store for them.

What is your dream and vision for whatever you want to accomplish? I argue that there are many places that deserve to have a dream be a guiding force. Marriage, familial relationships, life in general. Dream baby Dream!

2 Lovely Scribbles to Me:

* said...

Great thoughts...I enjoyed reading about your courtship/engagement to your husband (back row Joe's, that's funny!).

My husband, Ben, and I are very different people also but somehow, it works. ;)

I like musing on dreams, too. Dreams are something we can all have and aspire to!

jt_mama said...

Love this post! So where I am right now. Must be our advanced age...:-).
As for the writing- good for you! I am proud of you. But I am suprised that you consider this a secret. I consider the idea of you writing to be an assumption. I am here to support you in any way I can! ms

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...