Welcome to my digital writing journal, or mydigitalclutter. What started as a family blog almost two years ago has morphed into my writing therapy. This is where I do a lot of free writing, mostly about my life with my family and the things that catch my interest. While nowhere even close to perfect, in each post I like to see how my writing is changing with time and practice. Most posts are left unedited for this reason, so if you don't mind, take the journey with me.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Why Write?


Yesterday I was sitting in a room, waiting for the doctor to come in give me a “shot in the arm”, and I was a little nervous.  While needles don’t scare me like they used to, I still don’t ENJOY having my skin pierced with sharp metallic probes; I ENDURE them.  So, while in this state, I did what I always do when I’m nervous, I grabbed a pen and my notebook and started to write.  Now, when I’m in this type of state, there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to the words that are spilt upon the page.  In fact, I’m lucky if I can construct a complete sentence and spell one half of the words correctly.   My penmanship is rudimentary at best, and I usually can’t read what I’ve written by the time I’m done.

I wrote about the reason I was at the doctor’s office, and the decisions made to get to that point.  I wrote about my feelings towards myself, Daniel, and my kids.  I looked at pros and cons, something that I had done before making the decision, but it felt right to write them in my ramblings.  As I continued, there began a cadence and rhythm to my words.  Back and forth, to and fro, they began to weave into my mind the surety of my decision, and I was comforted.

I’m not sure why writing comforts me.  Just as I like to escape into a good book when I’m in a bad mood, writing transports me to a place where I can deal with what is on my plate.  For a moment or two, I am the one in control of what is placed on the page, where the outcome will be, etc.  I must have some serious control issues, huh?  Now if I could only channel these energies into writing something else….
*Thanks to Google for the image*

4 Lovely Scribbles to Me:

Cluttered Brain said...

Oh how fun! I want to read to. I like writing to experience things through my characters eyes. I really like that.

I'd like to read some of what you wrote. Cool. VERY Cool. Writing relaxes me also.

Lisa said...

I need to start carrying a notebook. There have been so many times where I have a thought,feeling or memory that I would like to write down only to lose it and forget. A fleeting thought is better written down.

Anonymous said...

Excuse for that I interfere … I understand this question. Let's discuss. Write here or in PM.

Anonymous said...

It agree, this remarkable opinion

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...