Welcome to my digital writing journal, or mydigitalclutter. What started as a family blog almost two years ago has morphed into my writing therapy. This is where I do a lot of free writing, mostly about my life with my family and the things that catch my interest. While nowhere even close to perfect, in each post I like to see how my writing is changing with time and practice. Most posts are left unedited for this reason, so if you don't mind, take the journey with me.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Under the Weather

I sometimes wonder where our delightful colloquialisms come from.  Really, under the weather?  Just an odd expression.

My kids have been sick.  I thought they could venture to school yesterday, as my little man was chomping at the bit to go back.  As it turned out, it wasn't the best idea, and Abbie left dance early because she felt nauseous and Nigel was coughing.  Luckily today they are at home, ensconsed in the loving care of Grandma and Grandpa.  Of course, this means they will be spoiled rotten by the time I pick them up, but they will enjoy the hours of movies and Wii.

I thought I may have outsmarted or just been stubborn enough to avoid what has been going around, but this afternoon I'm not sure.  I'm in my office, with a blessed lull, and decided to jump on my blog.  It's been crazy, chaotic, and dramatic.  I'm looking forward to the weekend.

The weather has mirrored the varied health related feelings in me.  This morning while on my way to work, the clouds hung low over the mountains, dark and ominous, snow falling in large fluffy flakes.  At one point, the flakes flew so quickly, it was hard to see the other buildings on campus.  Just a few hours later, I watched the clouds part and blue sky emerge to my delight.  Currently, the steely gray clouds have returned, and make the air around me feel chilled to the bone.  I just want to curl up in my blankets, a good book in hand, and stay there until Spring.  That tells me that my body is just waiting for an excuse to break down, allowing it's own steely gray clouds to descend.

Murphy's law will of course bare itself, and my children will be hale and healthy when I succumb to whatever ailments have kept them from the frivolities of youth.  I hate being under the weather.

*Thanks to Google for the image*


Yes, I did update my blog, Daniel.  You can let me know.  It didn't even take more than a couple of days this time. :)

3 Lovely Scribbles to Me:

Lisa said...

That's just the way it is for mothers. You take care of and love on those who are sick until they are better, only to find yourself in a similar condition. Inevitably, the mom gets a lot less sympathy. Take some airborne! Hope you can kick it...

Anonymous said...

Ah, etymology. I love it. =]

I'm sorry that everyone's still "under the weather" but I hope the sun comes out soon in your neck of the woods.

* said...

We have family that live in Washington state. I don't know how they do it, with the overcast/inversion/clouds hanging for months at a time.

I hope the clouds break again and the sun shines through with health & spring!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...