Welcome to my digital writing journal, or mydigitalclutter. What started as a family blog almost two years ago has morphed into my writing therapy. This is where I do a lot of free writing, mostly about my life with my family and the things that catch my interest. While nowhere even close to perfect, in each post I like to see how my writing is changing with time and practice. Most posts are left unedited for this reason, so if you don't mind, take the journey with me.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Hemingway...Seriously?

Well, my first writing class was last night. In spite of the chaos of my life, I managed to be pretty calm and confident as I went to class. How sad that it's been about twelve years since I've taken an honest to goodness class. I wasn't sure if I should take notes or not and wondered what the important parts of the lecture were. Luckily, I managed to take down three full pages of notes, but I'm not sure if they will make sense tomorrow.

We have four books to help us along this journey of authorship, wether we become published or not, only time will tell. This is a university class I'm taking advantage of by the way. My instructor informed us that we will be reading the short stories of Hemingway. WHAT? I have to admit that I've never been partial to Ernest Hemingway's writings, so I imagine that it will be a big learning curve for me. Of course my taste seems to lean a bit more to Jane Austen, Charles Dickinson, and let's not forget the estimable Diana Gabaldon.

I know that to be a good writer, one must read, and read a lot. Variety is just as important and quantity, and I will have to break out of my comfort zone. I will be introduced to Truman Capote's In Cold Blood, something I've never read before, and hopefully will stretch my literary horizons. Do you think I can get through the first 40 pages tonight? I better!

The writing assignments will stretch this little Mormon girl, and will have me go down paths that I've never really ventured. Luckily, being who I am will influence what I write and something will come of it that may be worthy of reading. At least I hope so!

1 Lovely Scribbles to Me:

* said...

Two words: Cliff Notes. :) They work. I used them here & there when writing my thesis paper for my Masters. Worked brilliantly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...